HSR: Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Emergency Nursing
Position Title: Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Emergency Nursing (JEN)
Employment Status: Contracted Position
Reporting Relationships: ENA Board of Directors
Oversees: Associate Editors and Section Editors, Managing Editor
Chairs: Editorial Board
Initial Commitment: Two-year contract with option to renew
The Editor-in-Chief (EIC) is responsible for the quality and professionalism of editorial content in the Journal of Emergency Nursing (JEN), the official scholarly journal of the Emergency Nurses Association. In collaboration with the Journal publisher, ENA and contracted publications staff, the EIC will also be responsible for the design and production of JEN.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Under guidance from the board of directors, sets and enforces the editorial tone of JEN; ensures authors, reviewers and editorial board members meet the highest level of editorial excellence and ethical standards.
- Ensures the content of JEN aligns with ENA’s mission, vision and strategic plan, as well as ENA’s publications strategy.
- Works collaboratively with ENA’s board of directors, editorial board, publications staff and publishing staff to ensure contractual commitments are met.
- Fosters creative input from authors, section editors and ENA committees and boards.
- Oversees the reviews of submitted manuscripts and works with the editorial board to guide authors during the revision process, including manuscript disposition.
- Leads and directs the JEN editorial board; conducts annual editorial board meetings and interim conference calls. Seeks input from the editorial board in matters of editorial policy and direction.
- Reviews peer publications to ensure JEN is current and competitive.
- Monitors and communicates trends and significant issues concerning the Journal to the ENA board of directors, executive director, editorial board and publisher. Provides written and verbal reports to the board as requested. This includes attendance at conferences and board meetings as needed.
- Resolves ethical and legal issues regarding difficult situations (e.g., plagiarism and other ethical violations).
- Directs the work of others and engages members of the association to contribute to the common goal of improving the care of emergency patients and promoting the specialty of emergency nursing.
- Develops and implements a journal strategy that includes increasing JEN’s measured impact in the field, overall presence and readership.
- Comprehensive knowledge of emergency nursing practice
- Experience in publishing and editing for clinical or research, peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated understanding of sound methodology and research.
- History of published research and/or evidence-based practice articles.
- Effective written and oral communication skills appropriate for developing rigorous, high-quality content, communicating with authors and public speaking on behalf of the Journal.
- Commitment to offer at least half-time to this position (approximately 80 hours a month)
- Advanced degree required, doctoral degree preferred
- Curriculum Vitae with detailed cover letter highlighting relevant experience as defined in the criteria
- Vision statement for the future of the Journal
- Editorial (use current editorial guidelines)
This search is being conducted by the ENA HR Department at the direction of the ENA Search Committee and the ENA Board of Directors. The search committee will review applications, conduct interviews on the phone and (at least with finalists) in person and make recommendations to the ENA Board for final candidates. All applications must be received by noon on Dec. 31, 2018.
Additional materials and relevant requests for writing samples and oral presentations may be required for the final candidate interviews in the first quarter of 2019, with an expectation of a start date also in the first quarter of 2019.
Questions and correspondence should be addressed to:
Chair, Search Committee and ENA Human Resources
930 E. Woodfield Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Copyright© 2018, Health Research & Educational Trust. All rights reserved. Content Disclaimer
Health Research & Educational Trust, 155 North Wacker, 4th Floor Chicago, IL 60606 (312) 422.2600